Rankings are updated 1-2 times per week during each sport's respective season.
Ned Freeman runs our Football Freeman rankings twice a week - Sunday's & Tuesday's.
MaxPreps Computer rankings include, Volleyball, Basketball, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball and Softball. Those are ran twice a week - Tuesday's & Friday's
A team must have played three games before they will appear in the rankings. Throughout the season, minimums will increase as the season goes on and more games are played.
MaxPreps Freeman Rankings:
MaxPreps National and State Freeman rankings are the result of our collection of enormous amounts of information from teams throughout the country and the application of a computer model developed by our associate Ned Freeman. The most important thing to understand about how the ratings system works is that it is 100% objective.
MaxPreps Computer Rankings:
We do not poll coaches, sportswriters, or fans. Nor does our staff make any judgments on the merits of any individual team. Prior season history, school size, and comments on message boards are not considered in the MaxPreps Computer Rankings. Rankings are strictly based off the strength of schedule and scores. Another factor to consider are the teams ratings. The Rating is a number calculated by the win loss record. The Rating is the most important number because it's a combination of that data and the movement will be influenced by that number.
MaxPreps Xcellent 25 Rankings:
MaxPreps Edorital Team - writers select the top 25 teams on a national level. MaxPreps will run down the top 25 teams in the country weighing record, quality wins, losses and other factors to determine the best of the best. If you have questions about the MaxPreps Xcellent 25, send the selected writer an email and we will gladly respond.
Things to note about our Ranking Program:
- The size of the schools, their division, the league they're in, how good the school or league are historically, their geographic location, how well liked the school is, how good the league is in other sports do not matter and therefore, none of these factors are programmed into the system. Those subjective factors inevitably bias humans saddled with the daunting task of trying to figure out who the best teams in the nation, in a state, or a region really are?
Instead, Freeman's system just takes into account the facts. Cold, hard, and unfeeling fact - but as accurate, objective and fair as possible.
- The system utilizes the huge number of game results stored in the MaxPreps database. Generally, the more a team wins the higher the ranking, but the system takes into account quality wins (against other highly ranked opponents) and strength of schedule.
For example, a team's ranking is hurt more by losing to a team that is ranked below them versus a team ranked ahead.
- Other factors that will affect the rankings are times when MaxPreps has incomplete or inaccurate information. We will correct errors when they are reported to us. If we are missing a score, report it to us on the team's MaxPreps page. If we are missing a game on the schedule, send us the information.
- Generally, the more games that are played the more accurate the rankings, so if a team that you perceive as being very strong has played substantially fewer games than other ranked teams it may reflect the fact that we have less data to work with.
Playoff games are weighed 2.1 times what a regular season game is.
- Movement indicates the up or down movement within the rankings when compared to our previously published rankings.